Sunday 28 September 2014

The turning point

One week have passed. I haven't written much of the book, although I managed to write 1,000 words per day about other topics, which may be useful for my next books.

The fact is that I'm coming to a difficult part. Stories finished, now I have to read a lot of materials, information, different books, different sites, and synchronize all and somehow turn these things into my words and provide the best, the most useful information for my readers. Not easy right? Don't be fooled, it's not hard as it seems. At this point, I realize that research is a part of writing. I used to admire Elizabeth Gilbert for her detailed and informative notes, now I'm doing it myself and hope my readers will somehow feel the similar satisfaction. There is only one problem, it takes time. I cannot write as fast as I want.

It's the end of September now. I've written a little bit over 1/3 of the book, finishing Cambodia history, now need to finish the culture, people and religion part. I have planned that for each introduction of each country, I would write around 5 pages, means maximum 3,000 words, an achievable goal I reckon. Target set: 5 days for each country. Well, just read a lot of information at night, then write in the morning. Anything missing can be supplemented later, now just write all down and finish as early as possible. By the end of October I need to have at least Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia finished. If possible adding the Philippines. And by then I will have submitted the preface and Cambodia travel guide to the publishers.

Last weekend, I had a very nice night with my friend in a newly opened Japanese restaurant in D1. Beautiful design, good food, and quiet. I remember listening to my friend's continuous talking and looking at the window with hanging green flower baskets, feeling the scent of the night. She is going to have her book published too. She told she met an experienced editor from a famous publishing house, who gave her useful ideas for her book. And she has to re-write the book, and I've got the editor's name. Her book is about traveling too, but it's a story. My book, well, not about it. I hope somehow we both can have our books published and sold well, filling the niches with our hits.  Let's see how things go.

OK, small thing first. Today, I will have to finish the part about Cambodia introduction, and move on to the next country. I've read enough about Cambodia, it's time to finish writing about it.

Onward Rosie.

No comments:

Post a Comment