Saturday 6 August 2016

It's all about running

Yesterday I went running. It's been a long time since I last did it. I once ran very frequently. But my running partner got married (don't look at me, it's not because of me that he got married). And I haven't run very often since. I miss the night run with him. We used to run for 5 - 7kms, with the average speed of 7mins/km. I always feel so good and energetic after a run, like I could lift the whole globe with my two hands.

I went to the park not far from my house. It's a big park. I looked around and I noticed that I haven't been here for a while. The osaka trees which were covered by bright yellow blossom during the summer are now filled with dark green chopstick - shaped fruits. Many big trees in this park. Full of greenery. I drew in my stomach to activate my abdominal muscles and started to run in a steady speed. It felt good. The tiles covering the pavement slowly flew under my feet, one after another. Same same but different.

Running is like meditation. When we run, we don't think of anything. We breathe, we move our legs, we look ahead. The mind, the body and the soul are united. We feel our existence in the current moment. That's what I love about running. And that's what I've long missed. Many writers cultivate running or walking as their daily activity. It's good to relax the body and mind after long hours writing. I don't write for long these days, and I haven't run. Perhaps it's a good way to start all again, go running and then sit down writing. I'm done with the second book and I rest long enough. There're many other things to do. My third book is waiting for me to finish. I need to start preparing my documents for the MFA, the personal statement, the CV, the essay. Yeah right, the essay. And then my first fiction book.

As I ran along the park I suddenly realized something. In order to keep moving up and thrive in life, we have to push ourselves. Go the extra mile, people say. Run a little bit further, write a little bit longer, work a little bit harder. A little bit more every time. But I haven't pushed myself hard enough. I'm being too comfortable with my pace, in everything. So to move up to another level, I should actively motivate and encourage and push myself more. A little stress is good for me. No pain no gain. Be my own coach.

It was a good afternoon. I didn't mean to run. But my boot camp class was canceled and I went there seeing nobody, so I thought I would do some running. I stopped after 1 hour running as I was afraid that if I tried so hard then I wouldn't want to do it soon. Then I gave myself a coconut as a reward. It's rainy season and the coconut is back to be cheap. It was double the price during the summer.

Yesterday was my best friend's birthday. We hung out in the morning. Despite the fact that we live together, I always feel that we don't talk or spend time with each other enough. And we had a "date" on her birthday. It's good to go out with her, peaceful and serene as she is. I know that I'm not an easy person to live with, so I really appreciate her tolerance and friendship. People say that we don't know what we've got until we lose it. But I know I have her and my brother with me and they are the best housemates I can have. And I thank God for that.

I found the designer for my book cover. My editor told me that he would suggest that designer to the decision maker. I have a feeling that this designer is the one for my book. His personality and his style suit the book. Been waiting so long for the book to launch. I will need to actively engage to make sure it is published at the time I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment